Sunday, October 4, 2020

Assignment 1 Solution, Extension, and Reflection

My group's slides can be found by following this link to our slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1v7p19i8AY7yPETjULVteIXuK2wauLVCQ3dvWLmrbIYs/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Reflection post-presentation

In creating this project, we really had to put ourselves in the place of Babylonians years ago, which wasn't exactly easy. I came across examples of their architecture that contained archways, which put me on a track to hypothesize that sagitta and chord measurements were needed to complete the arc calculation. However, I wasn't able to find concrete evidence to support this, and actually had to research modern calculations of archways before I felt more confident about my guess. It would be interesting to see if there were other applications of the sagitta and chord in Babylonian society. I believe someone guessed during our presentation that they might have been used in wheel calculations. Although I wasn't able to find any evidence to claim this through my limited Google searches, it would be interesting to learn more about how Babylonians came up with the design of the wheel and if they did make use of these measurements. On a personal level, I really enjoyed researching Babylonian culture and architecture. The art on the Ishtar Gate was beautiful and it is amazing to know that these impressive structures were created so long ago.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this interesting and thoughtful reflection, and for an excellent group project!

    ReplyDelete

Course Reflection Post

Image source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiqeKGOd5CKfWCUinM-LNlzxrIN49JyZosc3r5xlkKLQciwC-lGoRJVOCT9fdMA5abIx...